Young entrepreneurs compete on Shambles Market – with the winner getting a stall for a year
A diverse array of young entrepreneurs will be setting up their stalls at Shambles Market this week.
They are taking part in the York heats of the National Market Traders’ Federation (NMTF) Young Traders’ Market competition tomorrow (29 June).
Residents and visitors invited to come along and support them from 9am.
Businesses taking part offer a wide range of products including:
- Alysha Smith ‘NaturallyAlys’ – selling unique soy wax candles and products
- Andrew Rooney – Rooney’s Flytraps – offering carnivorous plants and more
- Carrie Doyle; Smunny Girl Prints – selling high quality character prints of film & TV female icons
- Laura Muldoon – selling new and exciting artwork using watercolour
- Millie Thomas; Sweet Treats by Mill – with a range of brownies, traybakes and more
- Izzy Robinson; Bizzy Pig Designs – offering handmade scrunchies and more
- Fran Swann: Apricity Jewellery – selling beautiful gold and silver jewellery
- Emma Walker – Moody Mare Patisserie – offering brownies, cupcakes and more
The young traders will be competing against each other on the day to ensure the highest quality customer experiences on their stall – with judges looking at everything from merchandising and sales skills to communication, pricing and product offer.
The judging panel on the day will be made up of business owner Ellen Harvey from Harvey’s Cheese, Emma Rogers, Selby’s market manager, York’s Town Crier and YorkMix Radio presenter Ben Fry and Marc Bichtemann, managing director of First Bus York.
The heats are a great prospect for young entrepreneurs (aged 16-30) to showcase their businesses and compete for the chance to represent York at the regional competition in Doncaster in July.
As part of their support for local businesses, First Bus York are also offering the winner a year-long pitch on Shambles Market. One trader will be guaranteed a spot on the market each week throughout the year to help them continue to develop their business and customer base.
Winners of the regional heats then have the opportunity to go on to be crowned Young Trader of the Year 2021 at the NMTF national event in August which is a celebration of all young entrepreneurs trading on our nation’s markets, festivals and fairs.