Many organisations have been reviewing their security in the wake of the London attack – York Minster among them.
The Chapter of York, which runs the cathedral, has reviewed its arrangements. There will be a more visible police presence and extra visitor searches.
It follows the attack which left four people dead, including a police officer, in Westminster on Wednesday (March 22).
The Minster’s head of security Mark Sutcliffe said: “We are particularly fortunate in that we have our own trained Minster Police officers on duty all day, every day.
“We also keep in close contact with North Yorkshire Police.
“Following the tragic events in London yesterday we have stepped up our high visibility Minster Police patrols to provide reassurance to visitors in our public areas.”
Mr Sutcliffe said visitors would be placed under closer scrutiny.
We want to reassure visitors to the Minster that their safety is our priority and that it remains a very safe place to visit.
City of York Council leader David Carr described the outrage in London as “an attack on us all”.
“We will not let hatred, or those who wish to divide us, succeed,” he said. “The people of York stand together with London.
“We extend our condolences and sympathy to all those caught up in yesterday’s atrocity.”
Purpleman’s London mission
Meanwhile a familiar figure was back in Stonegate collecting for his own mission to London.
Purpleman is collecting money to take flowers to Westminster in the wake of the attack.
He plans to go down in a few days’ time and place the floral tributes close to the scene of the incident.
Purpleman did the same in the wake of the terrorist bombings in Belgium last year, delivering flowers and messages of support from York to Brussels.
“It will show that love is stronger than terror,” PM told YorkMix.