York house fire destroys extension, damages downstairs rooms

11 Dec 2014 @ 7.14 am
| News

Rosebery Street, York. Photograph: Google Street View
A fire in a York home destroyed the extension and caused serious damage to downstairs rooms.

Fire crews from Acomb and York were called at 9.51pm on Wednesday (December 10) to the house on Rosebery Street in the Leeman Road area of the city.

A 33-year-old woman was treated by an ambulance crew at the scene after breathing in smoke but didn’t go to hospital. A boy aged nine got out of the house unharmed.

The blaze started in the timber frame extension, before spreading to the kitchen and downstairs bathroom. As a result the extension was destroyed.

Fire crews used a hose reel jet to put out the flames. They said the bathroom suffered 50% fire damage and the kitchen 20%. Much of the house was smoke damaged.

The fire is being blamed on an electrical fault in the washing machine.