A heartbroken dog owner has warned others to be aware after her beloved pet was poisoned in York.
Katie Hanson “had to say goodbye to my gorgeous happy boy Eddie aged just four” and says her family has been left devastated.
Posting on Facebook last night (Wednesday), she wrote: “He was poisoned by antifreeze after eating some chicken maliciously thrown on Melrosegate dog field. Our family are utterly heartbroken.
“Please anyone walking their dogs on there be careful, I wouldn’t wish this experience on anyone.”
Eddie was an English springer spaniel. “He had been a ray of light for me the last few months, and I, as well as the rest of my family and friends, are beyond devastated that someone would do this.
“We should have had many more years together.”
York police shared the message, and asked dog walkers to be aware. Anyone with information should call 101.
The story caused dismay among pet owners. One wrote: “There needs to be much tougher laws for people who inflict cruelty on or murder animals.”
Another posted: “My auntie’s cats were killed the same way on the same day! Evil people.”