A York barbershop has shared a video of an altercation with police – as it emerged that council officers have ordered it shut for two months.
Q Gentlemen’s Barbers on Bishopthorpe Road has been locked in a battle with authorities for some time over alleged breaches of the coronavirus regulations.
City of York Council has issued it with 12 fixed penalty notices for breaches of the Covid rules, with fines totalling £33,000.
The council ordered the barbershop to shut down between 13 May and 20 May – but has now extended this order.
It has been ordered to close until July 17 unless owners can prove they are following Covid safety rules, CYC says.
In the video shared today, officers are seen gathering outside Q Gentlemen’s Barbers.
The person filming says: “Leave the property, please – I’m asking you nicely.
“This is civil law, not criminal law. We don’t answer questions.”
A police officer on the doorstep tells the person filming he is there on behalf of the council and adds: “Don’t point in my face.”
The man replies: “You’re on my property mate, I’ll do what I want.”
The officer says they are breaking the law because a customer is not wearing a mask.
Contesting this, the man says they follow common law, and adds: “This is the will of the people. We do not consent to your jurisdiction.”
Previously Q Gentlemen’s Barbers sent a statement to YorkMix saying it was staying open because the government’s actions were unlawful.
An ‘escalated approach’
Matt Boxall, head of public protection at the council, said: “Thank you to the overwhelming majority of businesses who are working hard to make their premises safe.
“We continue to support all businesses offering them advice and information to help people stay safe and to keep York open.
“Last week, to protect the public from infection risks and to address repeated breaches of Covid rules, we served a direction on Q Gentlemens Barbers York of 31 Bishopthorpe Road, York.
“This required them to close from 6pm on 13 May 2021 to 6pm on 20 May 2021 so that they could put in place the necessary Covid safety measures.
“We are taking an escalated approach as required by the regulations. As such, following a number of complaints and due to continued non-compliance, yesterday (20 May 2021) we served a further direction on the business and its two directors, Mr Ryan Cross and Mr Dylan Bell.
“This requires them to close the premises until 11.50pm on 17 July 2021 when the current regulations expire or until they can demonstrate satisfactorily that they have complied with the requirements of coronavirus legislation.
“These regulations are being followed by every other hairdresser in order to keep staff and customers safe. It is deeply frustrating that we are having to continue to work with Q Gentlemens Barbers in this way.
“Fixed penalty tickets also issued to them and designed to resolve matters without them becoming criminal convictions in court, also remain unpaid. Compliance is undoubtedly better for public safety and for business.
“Thank you to all who are reporting breaches. Please continue to alert us by emailing [email protected] or phoning: 01904 551525.”