North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue crews have been dealing with a fire at a metal recycling yard in Ripon tonight.
A witness said there were thick clouds of acrid smoke over Dallamires Lane
It happened at .A Anderson. The company provides a service for many businesses and its major clients include Google and Lord’s Cricket Ground.
It’s been in the North Yorkshire city for almost 50 years.
A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: “Two crews from Ripon responded to reports of a fire in a scrapyard involving 2m by 4m of scrap.
“Crews used four breathing apparatus, three 45mm jets, a thermal imaging camera and lighting, as well as a digger, to extinguish the fire.
“This was believed to be caused by a battery within the scrap pile.”