Two men taken to hospital after fire at flat in York

7 May 2015 @ 9.02 am
| News

Lydham Court, York. Photograph: Google Street View
Lydham Court, York. Photograph: Google Street View
Two men were taken to hospital after escaping a fire in a York flat.

The fire service were called to Lydham Court, off Foxwood Lane, at 11.06pm on Wednesday (May 6) after smoke was seen coming out of the top floor flat.

Crews from York and Acomb fire stations found two men inside. One was on his way out after being alerted by the smoke alarm. The other man had to be led to safety by a firefighter.

Both men, who are in their 20s, were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

North Yorkshire Fire Service said the cause of the fire was cooking left unattended in the oven.

The fire wrecked the oven and caused extensive smoke damage to the flat.