Three fire crews responded to reports of smoke at a flat in York last night (Wednesday).
Crews from Acomb, and Huntington went to the three-storey property, at an undisclosed address, at 8.09pm.
The smoke was coming from the ground floor utility room, and emerged through an open window.
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “The fire originated on a blanket, and was caused by discarded smoking materials.
“The fire damage was confined to the utility room only. Three occupants were out on arrival.”