The NHS Spitfire is due over York today (Tuesday, 22 September).
After the disappointment of its original flypast being cancelled due to cloud cover, the iconic plane has rescheduled its tribute flight over northern hospitals.
Emblazoned with the words ‘Thank U NHS’, the wartime aircraft is due to fly over York Hospital at 11.57am.
The plane, which worked on photo-reconnaissance missions during the Second World War, is touring UK hospitals and raising money for NHS Charities Together.
It belongs to the family-owned Aircraft Restoration Company. They first began flypasts as part of the ‘clap for carers’ tributes.
The new schedule
- 11.00am Depart Duxford
- 11.38am Fly over Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield
- 11.42am Fly over St Mary’s Hospital, Leeds
- 11.45am Fly over Bradford Hospital
- 11.51am Fly over Harrogate Hospital
- 11.57am Fly over York Hospital
- 12.08pm Fly over Friarage Hospital, Northallerton
- 12.14am Fly over Darlington Hospital
- 12.20pm Land at Teesside Airport.