Teenager treated for burns after e-scooter fault sparks house fire
A teenager was treated for burns after a house fire early today (Tuesday, 27 April).
Fire crews from Selby and West Yorkshire were called out at 1.47am to a property in Whitley, near Selby.
One teenager was treated for slight burns to their foot and one adult was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene.
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “The fire caused 80% fire damage to the bedroom, and 100% smoke damage along with 50% smoke damage to the first floor.
“The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault with a charger for an e-scooter.”
Station manager Tony Walker said on Twitter: “Details will be handed over to trading standards to see if the e-scooter & charger are genuine. Only buy from reputable dealers if it’s cheap ask yourself why! DO NOT LEAVE ELECTRICAL ITEMS CHARGING OVER NIGHT.”
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to put out the blaze.