Seven-day waste collection will keep York looking smart all weekend

The York BID and Forge teams outside York Minster
18 Sep 2019 @ 11.16 am
| Business

A new waste collection service will operate seven days a week to keep York city centre looking its best at the weekends.

A fleet of Forge Recycling vehicles with the slogan Supporting businesses for a greener, cleaner York have hit the streets.

They are part of a new business waste scheme from York BID (Business Improvement District) which is starting to flourish.

The new livery promotes the city centre waste collection scheme which was initiated by York BID as part of measures to keep the city centre looking clean and tidy.

And the new service will also increase the amount of waste that businesses can recycle.

A high priority

Forge Recycling bins on Blake Street. Photograph: YorkMix
Collecting rubbish seven days a week is crucial for a tourist hotspot like York, says Carl Alsop of the BID:

  • Saturday is the busiest day in York city centre, with hotels, restaurants and bars buzzing with guests.

    So when we were looking for a cost-effective waste collection service, being able to collect over the weekend was high on our priority list.

The service is one of the most environmentally-friendly services available, with over 35 tonnes of waste being recycled in August alone.

Two thirds of all waste collected is now being recycled by businesses participating in the scheme.

Last month 76% of the collected waste was recycled with the remaining 24% going to an energy-from-waste plant.

How to join up

Forge Recycling is committed to reducing the amount going to landfill
Any business within the York BID catchment is able to access the Forge Recycling service at “highly competitive rates” said Carl.

Included in the price are a free cardboard bale collection each week and seven day servicing.

“The more businesses join the scheme, the better for our city, reducing the number of large waste vehicles accessing narrow streets in the city centre, and maximising the amount of waste that can be recycled,” adds Carl.

As part of the York BID agreement, participating businesses will benefit from economies of scale.

There is no annual increase in the waste contract price, and reductions are possible as more sign up to the service.

All businesses in the city centre are eligible to join. For more details, please call 01904 202499 or email [email protected].