A worker at York Designer Outlet has urged people travelling there for Black Friday today (Friday, 24 November) to set off early – or face a long hunt for a parking space.
The anonymous worker posted some rules they urged shoppers to follow today to have the best experience.
With extra discounts a month before Christmas, Black Friday often attracts large numbers of shoppers to the outlet, already known for its reduced prices.
The worker, posting on Facebook group York: What’s going on?, said: “I just wanted to give you all a couple gentle reminders regarding Black Friday coming up.
“I work in the York Designer Outlet and have worked the last few Black Fridays. I’m sharing this in hopes whoever it may reach it will help.”
Here is their advice…
1. Set off early, preferably before 9.30am especially if you live far away. Once it hits 11am you will NOT be able to get parked unless you’re prepared to circle the outlet a good 2 or 3 times and spend half an hour of your day with us trying to find a space. The outlet has also been cracking down on people parking on the grass verges around the outlet so your trusty backup isn’t so trusty anymore
2. If you are travelling by public transport again, after 10am you will want to be getting the bus that is at least an hour before you are *wanting* to arrive at the outlet or you can expect to be an hour if not longer later than when you wanted to get there. The bus journey normally takes 15m this is true but not on Black Friday it’s at least an hours travel time.
3. If you can get dropped off rather than bringing your own vehicle I’d advise considering this option. It will ultimately be the best option but still be prepared to sit in queuing traffic for the car park from the roundabout.
4. Please be kind to your staff, all staff, no matter what situation we are trying our best
5. Do not try to park anywhere you are not supposed to once again this is being cracked down upon and you can expect to hear your cars reg plate over the loud speaker and a message urging you to return to your vehicle immediately.
6. Any McArthurGlen club members/members of any other brand clubs, have your membership ready well before you get to the till, screenshot them prior if you must
7. It WILL be busy and it WILL be crowded. Please be kind to everyone and do not push or shove anyone while you are trying to get around, do not argue over the deals, and do not try to barter. The majority of brands are already being super generous with their deals.
The worker added: “I hope this reaches some of you wanting to come and visit us for Black Friday this week and can help you out. I’m sure I will see some of you then have an amazing day.”