Serial killer Dennis Nilsen died in York Hospital, coroner reveals

18 May 2018 @ 8.10 pm
| Crime, News

An inquest has revealed that serial killer Dennis Nilsen died in York Hospital.

It was previously reported that Nilsen, who is believed to have killed as many as 15 young men, died in Full Sutton prison.

But an inquest at Hull Coroners Court heard that he was taken from the jail to York Hospital after complaining of stomach pains on Thursday, May 10.

Coroner’s officer Gary Lynch said he was found to have a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm which was repaired but he then suffered an blood clot as a complication of the surgery.

Mr Lynch said Nilsen died on May 12 after his condition deteriorated.

A subsequent post-mortem examination showed that the mass murderer’s immediate cause of death was pulmonary embolism and retroperitoneal haemorrhage.

He said the underlying causes of this were deep vein thrombosis and “abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture repair”.

Body released

Dennis Nilsen (left) leaving Highgate Magistrates Court where he was remanded in custody, charged with the murder of Stephen Sinclair in London

East Riding of Yorkshire coroner Professor Paul Marks said that, as Nilsen’s family had not requested a second post-mortem examination, the body could be released.

He said: “I’m happy to sign the paperwork for Dennis Nilsen’s body to be returned to his next of kin for funeral arrangements to be made.”

Prof Marks adjourned the five-minute long hearing saying a date for the full inquest had yet to be fixed.

Nilsen became known as the Muswell Hill murderer after he carried out a murderous spree of near-unparalleled savagery in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Crimes discovered by chance

Dennis Nilsen (right), with a prison warden at his side, after he was sentenced to a minimum of 25 years imprisonment at the Old Bailey for multiple murders. Photographs: PA Wire

The Scottish murderer is believed to have killed as many as 15 men, most of them homeless homosexuals, at his north London home.

After luring his victims to their death, Nilsen would often sit with their corpses for days before dismembering them.

His warped crimes were only detected by chance – when a drain outside his home on Cranley Gardens, Muswell Hill, became blocked by the human remains he had tried to flush away.

He was jailed for life with a recommendation he serve a minimum of 25 years in 1983, on six counts of murder and two of attempted murder.

When he died aged 72 he had spent 34 years in prison.