Emergency services were scrambled last night after a shop alarm went off and smoke was seen pouring out of the door.
Fire crews went to the retailer, on High Street, Northallerton, at 5.30pm yesterday (Sunday).
But it turned out this was a false alarm sparked by… a pigeon.
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Crews from Northallerton and Bedale responded to reports of an alarm sounding and smoke coming through the doors of a retail premise.
“Crews discovered this to be a burglar alarm, set off by a pigeon which then set a smoke cloak off.
“Crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to ventilate the premise. This was a false alarm with good intent.”
There is no news about the whereabouts of the pigeon.
[tptn_list limit=3 daily=1 hour_range=1]