Owners ‘very shaken up’ after fire closes popular North Yorkshire pub
A traditional country pub once visited by Princes William and Harry is closed today after it was hit by fire.
Fire crews from Ripon, Thirsk, Knaresborough and Harrogate were called to The Ship Inn, Aldborough, at 2.13am this morning (Sunday).
“Crews discovered a fire in the kitchen believed to have originated from a tumble dryer,” a North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said.
“Crews used two hose reel jets, one covering jet, four breathing apparatus, thermal imaging cameras, one short extension ladder, a positive pressure ventilation fan and lighting to extinguish the fire.”
On the Ship Inn’s Facebook page, member of staff Lisa said the fire had badly hit owners Brian and Elaine Rey.
“It is with great sadness we will be unable to open today or until further notice.
“Unfortunately we had a large electrical fire during the night.
“Brian and Elaine are OK but are understandably very shaken up. We are sorry for any inconvenience and will update you as we have anything to update.”
The pub hit the national headlines in 2011 when Prince William, his then fiancee Kate Middleton, and Prince Harry enjoyed a lunch there before attending a friend’s wedding in the village.