A man was rescued by neighbours as his home filled with smoke last night (Tuesday).
Firefighters were called to the property in Tadcaster at 9.27pm after the smoke was spotted.
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Upon arrival they found this to have been due a joint of lamb in a pot on the hob which had boiled dry causing the smoke formation.
“Smoke alarms activated however they didn’t raise the alarm to the occupant who was asleep on the sofa.
“Neighbours managed to wake him and escort him from the property prior to our arrival.
“Crew then removed the pan from the hob and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to ventilate the premises. Advice was also given.”