The A66 in North Yorkshire is closed in both directions due to a multi-vehicle collision
It is shut between the A1M J53 (Scotch Corner) and the A67 (Bowes), with at least four vehicles involved.
Emergency services including North Yorkshire Police are in attendance. National Highways Traffic Officers are also on scene providing assistance.
Eastbound traffic for A1M north is advised to follow the solid diamond diversion symbol.
Eastbound traffic for the A1M south is advised to follow the solid square diversion symbol.
- Exit the A66 eastbound at Bowes and take the A67 until Barnard Castle
- Cross the River Tees by Bridgegate and continue through the town and at the outskirts of Barnard Castle, continue along the A67 by taking the right fork
- Continue along the A67 passing through Winston for 13.5 miles until Darlington and the A67/B6280 roundabout
- At this point, traffic will be segregated north or south depending on journey
- Northbound traffic will be diverted left onto the B6280 following signs for A1M north to then re-join the A1M at J58 (Burtree)
- Southbound traffic will be diverted right, following signs for the A1M south to then re-join the A1M southbound at J57
Westbound traffic, or traffic travelling from further afield is advised to use alternative trans-pennine routes such as the M62 or A69.