A kitchen has been badly damaged in a fire in Malton overnight.
At 8.12pm last night (Monday) fire crews from Malton and Pickering were mobilised to reports of a fire in the kitchen of an end-terraced house off Newbiggin.
The fire started in the toaster.
As well as destroying the toaster, the fire “also caused 30% fire damage and 80% smoke damage to the kitchen,” said a North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson.
“The occupiers had closed the door to kitchen prior to fire brigade arrival which helped contain the fire to this room.
“Fire crew extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet and two breathing apparatus.
“They then investigated with a thermal imaging camera and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to ventilate the premises.
“The cause is thought to have been due to an electrical fault on the toaster.”