Markets have been held in York for at least 1,300 years. But there’s never been one quite like this…
The Curious Emporium will set up its stalls in the historic setting of York Medical Society off Stonegate on Saturday 30 September.
It will feature strange smells and stranger sells – with everything from stuffed animals to witchcraft supplies on offer.
Dan Oliver Gott of York-based Arcane Exhibitions is behind the event.
“This is almost certainly York’s most curated alternative market event ever, with every detail, from the aromas in the air to the soundtrack playing in the background in each room designed to stimulate all the senses,” he said.
“Each of the stalls has been selected to add to the sense of storytelling as you move between the rooms; a veritable museum of curiosities set within a unique, quirky space – in the heart of the city, yet often overlooked as people stroll by, unaware of its presence.”
The smells have been created by Dan, who has honed his skills while working on his scented candle range, Room Spell. With names like Essence of Vampire, York 1349 and Deadly Sins, these are mood-setting candles like no others.
The Room Spell display will be one of the first visitors experience as they pass through the gates on Stonegate and walk through the doors of the historic building.
In the Tempest Anderson Room, scent, sound and video projections will combine to make visitors feel as though the temperature has dropped – perhaps indicating the presence of the ghost of Tempest Anderson himself, whose footsteps are said to reverberate around the room.
The main Lecture Room takes visitors on a journey into dark magic and the occult, with the the existing displays of vintage medical equipment suddenly taking on a more ominous aura.
Traders will be in each room selling a range of alternative products. They include everything from hand crafted jewellery to artworks, to witchcraft supplies and taxidermy.
Dan said: “York has become a haven for visitors seeking out magical experiences inspired by films of wizardry and witchcraft, and this market is a perfect place to explore that further.
“You could easily imagine Sabrina Spellman and students from The Academy of Unseen Arts feeling very at home here – Gothic, dark and deliciously fun.”
There will also be a vegan café. Stalls at The Curious Emporium will include:
- Room Spell – Darkly themed scented candles, based on myths, legends, gloomy history and grim nature.
- JM Frost – Author of gothic literature with accompanying curio items
- A Forest Of Shadows – Artist and print maker working with themes of magick, the old gods and consciousness
- Lucy Everitt – Art psychotherapist and artist inspired by nature and colour
- Little Green Tree – Bespoke hand-made jewellery made from upcycled cutlery and silver
- Katie Fleming – artist working with impressionist styles
- Artemis Peabody – Seasonal, hand-made witchcraft supplies with a strong nature theme.
- Fwootpot Ceramics – Unusual ceramic creations
- Pandora’s Box – Seller of curiosities, taxidermy and unusual items
- Nicola Hebson – Mixed media artist offering taxidermy, jewellery and paintings
- Captain Mustache – Hand made beard oils, beard wax, patches, badges, t-shirts and tote bags