Homes were evacuated from a main road in York after gas was left on all day.
Firefighters were called to the house on Huntington Road at 5.48pm yesterday (Monday).
The occupant had returned home and realised the gas hob had been left on all day.
The property was filled with a large volume of gas. The resident opened the front and back door and then left the house.
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “When fire crews arrived, they evacuated neighbours and assisted in naturally ventilating the property.
“Crews isolated the mains gas supply to the property and stood by until all of the gas fumes had cleared.
Crews gave the occupant advice regarding staying in the property overnight and also advised them to attend hospital for a precautionary check due to the amount of gas they had possibly inhaled.”