Firefighters were called to an incident that looked suspiciously like sabotage at a North Yorkshire home today (Tuesday).
A passing dog walker spotted smoke coming from a home on Main Street, Thixendale and called it in at 9.12am.
Fire crews from Malton and Tadcaster went to the scene.
Main Street, Thixendale
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “On arrival, Malton crew confirmed that there had been a fire in the kitchen which was out of their arrival.
“The fire crew opened windows to ventilate the premises, and carried out a home risk assessment with the occupant.
“The smoke resulted from a plastic feeding bowl for the cat melting on the hob – after the owner’s dog had turned the hob on.”