Update: Tuesday, March 24
Police have confirmed that the arrested man remains in police custody for questioning. Searches at the property were completed on Monday evening.
From Monday, March 23
Detectives investigating the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence have today (Monday, March 23) arrested a man aged in his 50s from the York area on suspicion of murder.
Searches are being conducted which are expected to be ongoing over a number of days.
Police are not releasing any further details relating to the arrest at this stage of the investigation.
The investigation team would like to stress that Claudia has not been found.
Claudia’s family have been notified about the arrest and are being supported by trained officers.
Detective Superintendent Dai Malyn, head of North Yorkshire Police’s Major Crime Unit and the senior investigating officer in the Claudia Lawrence inquiry, said:
This includes naming or publishing images of the man on traditional media platforms or social networking sites.
I urge everyone to show restraint and patience while we carry out these very important enquiries.
Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should contact North Yorkshire Police – details below.
How to help the police
Call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 1, and pass details to the Force Control Room | |
Or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 |
Use the anonymous form on the Crimestoppers website | |
Please quote “Claudia Lawrence” when passing on details |
The investigation so far
Nobody has seen or heard from Claudia Lawrence since Wednesday, March 18, 2009.
She was reported missing by her father on Friday, March 20 after concerns were raised when the chef failed to turn up for her 6am shift at the University of York on the Thursday.
North Yorkshire Police’s Major Crime Unit has been actively reviewing and investigating the Claudia Lawrence case since October 2013.
A 60-year-old man was arrested in May on suspicion of murder. He was later released from his bail.
A 47-year-old man was also arrested in July on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. He remains on police bail while enquiries continue.
Unbelievable how many arrests they’ve made over this case, naming, shaming and to no avail. I truly hope this time they’ve got their acts together and arrested the right man!!
Hope they find her and that they’ve finally got the right man as it would help her family so much in their grief
I hope that her family are being supported. All the unknowns must be horrible to bear. X
There have been more arrests in this case than an average Saturday night. All suggests the cops don’t know what they’re doing (hardly surprising after six years) and unless someone’s coughed to it, not much chance of standing up in court. Still, fingers crossed they’ve struck lucky at long last
I was thinking about this only the other day, hope they do find her to put closer to it, so sad ðª
All these years gone , her poor family . If she has been murdered i hope who ever did it says where the body is so they can put her to rest. God bless you all xxx
Can’t be leave how bad this case has been treated