City up to fourth after late win at Luton

1 Apr 2012 @ 8.11 pm
| Sport

Luton 1 York City 2

Patrick McLaughlin and James Meredith were both on target in the final ten minutes as York City came from behind to earn a superb 2-1 victory at promotion rivals Luton Town, reports

The Minstermen were deservedly rewarded after recovering from the shock of conceding early when Hatters’ latest signing Andre Gray opened the scoring on five minutes.

Lanre Oyebanjo struck the woodwork in reply as the visitors gradually fought back but they were required to wait until substitute Eugen Bopp set up McLaughlin to crash into the corner with ten minutes remaining.

And six minutes later Luton goalkeeper Mark Tyler couldn’t hold a fierce Ashley Chambers shot and Meredith immediately seized upon the chance in front of the celebrating travelling fans.

The visitors had experienced a simply awful start when Gray took advantage of a non-existent challenge from Chris Smith inside the area after a speculative ball forward and drove across Michael Ingham from a sharp angle.

Goalscorer Gray then scuffed another opportunity through to Ingham a couple of minutes later while also forcing the goalkeeper to block well following a mistake by Chris Doig.

All that York had offered up to that point was Ben Gibson having a shot which struck team-mate Jamie Reed until Matty Blair almost got on the end of an inswinging Jon Challinor cross from the right.

On loan Middlesbrough defender Gibson soon cleared well at the opposite end and Curtis Osano then drove wide of the near post for the hosts after a neat one-two.

But the visitors were at least beginning to find a little rhythm and Reed sidefooted straight at Tyler when released inside the area by McLaughlin. Oyebanjo’s effort from further out then struck the right-hand post after Blair and Jason Walker linked well.

Challinor crossed for Blair to head over following the restart and also blocked well inside his own area before Ingham saved with his feet from Gray after McLaughlin had carelessly surrendered possession.

The Northern Ireland Under-21 international was soon trying to make amends when exchanging passes with Reed until being denied by Tyler, who also chased out to hack clear ahead of the chasing Reed.

The Minstermen were well on top but Challinor was required to take extensive treatment until being replaced by Bopp after Reed had already made way for Chambers. Oyebanjo soon had another shot deflected wide.

Ten minutes from time the visitors drew level when McLaughlin netted for the second time in three days and for the twelfth occasion this season with a firm left-footed drive from the edge of the area.

Then after Chambers’ powerful shot was only partially blocked by Tyler six minutes later, Meredith snapped up the rebound before great celebrations in front of the York fans.

Ukrainian-born midfielder Bopp soon forced another save from Tyler from distance, while Luton substitute Craig McAllister headed at Ingham before also hooking over during the six minutes of added time after fellow replacement Adam Watkins had already stabbed narrowly wide.


Luton Town: Tyler, Osano, G. Pilkington, Kovacs, Howells, Keane, Lawless, Willmott, Poku (Watkins 85), Crow (McAllister 58), Gray (Fleetwood 72)

Subs (unused): Blackett, Kissock

Goals: Gray (5)

York City: Ingham, Challinor (Bopp 69), Smith, Doig, Gibson, Meredith, Oyebanjo, McLaughlin (Parslow 90), Blair, Walker, Reed (Chambers 64)

Subs (unused): Moké, Blinkhorn

Goals: McLaughlin (80), Meredith (86)

Ref: S. Bratt

Attendance: 5,925 (196 York)