This 15th century building is all that remains of the street on which it stands.
No doubt number 1 Little Shambles has undergone many changes over the centuries. And what is now the Little Shambles Tearooms is set to enter its next chapter with a new name and layout.
At present customers are served on the ground and first floors only. But soon they could go right to the top floor and enjoy tea and cake with views over the Shambles and market.
And it will be rebranded the Parlormade Café and Scone House – appropriate for a venue highly rated on TripAdvisor for its cream teas.
In their plans the owners say “careful consideration has been given to the heritage impact of the alterations when balanced against bringing a greater area of the building back into use and ensuring that the café continues to makes a positive contribution to the conservation area, local economy and offer to locals and visitors to York”.
By changing the layout and bringing the top floor into public use the cafe will increase its number of covers from 26 to 34.
The documents state:
The timber frame and render external appearance of the building is a key factor for the business owner’s decision to choose this location and the aim is to exploit this further.
This will be achieved by changing the internal layout to ensure the business activities can be seen from the street through the large glazed shop-front, allowing pedestrians on Little Shambles to clearly identify the premises as a café.
Branding will include a hanging sign in the shape of an old fashioned kettle.
According to its Grade II listed status, the medieval building was restored in 1950.