It’s time to fly the flag for older people in York as the York 50+ Festival returns!
Organised by YOPA (York Older People’s Assembly) and a small team of volunteers, the annual festival will take place this year from Saturday 25 September to Sunday 3 October.
The festival will be a mix of over 80 in-person and online events and will include something for almost everyone – with a wide range of open days, talks, sport activities, workshops, classes and more.
“It’s a fine way to shake off the gloom of Covid and join in events in person or share online with people from all over the country and abroad,” said festival founder Sue Lister.
“It’s good that the digital world can link people from far and near but we are a sociable species and we need to get together in person too.”
Sue Lister created the York 50+ Festival in 2005 – it is now in its 16th year.
The festival will also coincide with International Older Person’s Day on 1 October, where across the UK the skills, talents and knowledge of older people will be celebrated.
The full programme for the York 50+ Festival is on the YOPA website and is available in libraries and community centres around the city centre.
Copies can also be picked up from the YOPA office at Spark:York and from the tourist information centre.
10 highlights at York 50+ Festival
- Qi gong for challenging times – This relaxing session will teach the practice of Qi gong
- Eat…Pray…Love: Open day at St Denys Church – Offering tea, tours, talks and entertainment under the theme of ‘Eat-Pray-Love’
- Play basketball for free – Try your hand at shooting a few hoops!
- Guided House Tour and Meditation – Enjoy a tour around a beautiful grade II listed mansion followed by a guided meditation
- Dementia Awareness Session – This session covers dementia awareness and the services offered by Dementia Forward
- Behind the scenes tours of York’s Art Deco theatre – A guided tour of the theatre built by Rowntrees for their workers and local community
- Eco-crafters taster session – Have a go at anything from wool felting to macrame or sewing, or bring your own project!
- The Furious Five Quiz Night – A series of questions on music, film, TV and books to test your skill and knowledge
- Happy to Chat Bench – A great chance to have a break, a chat with a Community Health Champion
- Winter Wellbeing for the over 50s – Our integrative healthcare practitioners offer therapeutic recommendations and answer your personal questions
To see the full programme of events, visit the York 50+ Festival page.