Highways England says an £8 million improvement package for the A64 between York and Scarborough will make journeys ‘safer and smoother’.
The news comes in a half term week which has seen families stuck in five-hour jams on their A64 journeys to the coast.
Highways England says it will carry out the work this financial year, starting in the summer.
The improvements include further drainage work between Sherburn and Ganton and at Rillington, resurfacing work at Rillington and near Stockton-on-the-Forest, as well as junction improvements at Old Malton.
Highways England project manager Richard Burgess said: “Over the last two years we’ve invested over £26 million in the A64 to continue to provide safer and smoother journeys for drivers.
“We’ve carried out drainage work to address issues with standing water, as well as resurfacing and reconstructing the road surface between West and East Heslerton and between Sherburn and Staxton, creating village gateways to slow traffic and make road users more aware they are travelling through built up communities.
“We’re pleased to be able to make more improvements for the drivers benefit and will be doing whatever we can to minimise disruption whether that be carrying out works overnight or avoiding the busy summer holiday period.”
This is what’s planned
Improvements due to be made this financial year include:
- the latest phase of drainage work between Sherburn and Ganton will continue overnight over the next few months.
- replacement of safety fencing which has reached the end of its life at various locations near Malton this summer
- drainage work and resurfacing at Rillington, which is currently scheduled for late September/early October
- re-waterproofing the carriageway at Flixton Carr in September
- drainage work between Hazelbush Crossroads and Stockton-on-the-Forest in autumn
- safety improvements at Old Malton which are planned to start in October
- resurfacing from Barr Lane to Claxton in late autumn
- slip road reconstruction and resurfacing at Headley Bar, Askham Bar and Musley Bank, also in the autumn
Further details about the works, including start dates and traffic management, will be given nearer the time.