You can hire the York Barbican for free – thanks to the council
You can hire the York Barbican for free for a day, thanks to City of York Council.
York-based groups, clubs and community organisations are invited to apply for a concessionary day’s hire of the venue in 2023 and up to December 2024.
It follows an agreement between the council and the Barbican’s operators, ASM Global.
To be eligible to apply for a concessionary day, the council says proposed events should:
- Provide activities or entertainment that appeal to the widest cross-section of the local community
- Be open and accessible to all with no restricted access
- Promote the objectives of the City of York Council and, where possible, enhance campaigns or programmes being delivered by the council and its partners.
Priority will be given to events that:
- Have a high-quality programme
- Engage communities ie through participation opportunities for local residents.
The concessionary day covers rental fees as well as charges for backstage and front of house facilities, technical equipment, front of house management, and stewarding.
It does not cover items such as box office and credit card commission, marketing and additional staff for duties such as loading and unloading production equipment.
York council’s executive member for culture, leisure and communities, Darryl Smalley, said: “These concessionary days at the Barbican are a fantastic opportunity for community organisations to put on events to benefit local residents.
“The Barbican is York’s largest music and arts venue, a fantastic space and the successful applicants will enjoy a professional experience in a superb location. I’d encourage all interested organisations to get in touch!”
For further information about the Barbican concessionary days email [email protected] by 31 May 2023.
Events primarily designed to be fundraisers are not supported.