Rules for the York Mix Poems For Children Competition 2020
Here are the rules for the 2020 YorkMix Poems For Children Competition.
1. This is an open competition for poets aged 18 and over writing poems for children.
2. Poems must be in English, but entries will be accepted from writers from any country.
3. Poems must be the entrant’s original work and not previously published in a collection or anthology, newspaper or poetry magazine. Work that has been posted in a closed poetry group online, or a personal blog online are eligible. Poems that have been broadcast on radio or podcasted online are not allowed.
4. Poems can be of any length, and on any subject.
5. The judge will read all entries; the entries will be presented to the judge anonymously.
Poems must show the title and poem only. The poet’s name must not appear on the work. Poems may not be amended or edited after submission.
6. Poems must be submitted online via the official form on the entry page. Attachments must be in one of the following formats: Word (.doc or .docx), Text, Simpletext or TextEdit, Pages or PDF. Postal entries are allowed, only in special circumstances (See Rule 21).
7. Payment is online via PayPal, via the entry form. To pay by PayPal you do not need a PayPal account. All major credit cards are accepted. Just follow the instructions on the entry form.
8. Poets may enter as many poems as they wish. The 2020 entry fee is:
£5 for a single poem; £10 for two or three poems; £15 for four or five poems
There is no limit to the number of poems that can be submitted. To enter more than five poems, you will need to make a separate submission.
9. If you are experiencing hardship as a result of Covid 19 and lockdown, and would like a single-poem entry free of charge, please write to the Organiser at: [email protected] for entry details.
10. Acknowledgement of entries: We are not able to indivdually acknowledge entries. When your entry payment is complete, PayPal will assign a transaction number to the payment; receipt of a PayPal transaction number is official confirmation of your entry.
11. No poet may win more than one cash prize. Poets may be commended for more than one poem.
12. Closing date: Deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday, 14 February 2021.
13. Winners, Commended and Highly Commended entrants will be contacted by email on or near February 28, 2021. Poets who have not heard from the organisers by February 28 are free to enter their work in any other competition.
14. Any awards event will be subject to lockdown rules. If it is not practicable to hold a live event, in York, an online event might be arranged. The date of any such event (and venue) will be announced on the competition closing date.
15. Copyright in submitted poems remains with the author. Entrants agree to allow prizewinning, commended and highly commended poems to be featured fee-free on YorkMix.com. Winning and commended poems may not be published anywhere, without the permission of the organisers, until after the results announcement in YorkMix.com.
16. Prize-winning and commended poems may be used by the organisers in publicity or promotional material.
17. Winners will receive cash awards by PayPal or bank transfer.
18. The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
19. Entrants agree to have their email address added to the YorkMix.com mailing list, but can unsubscribe at any time.
20. Any queries and the organisers’ response may be posted on YorkMix if it is deemed helpful to other entrants.
21. Entry implies acceptance of all rules.
22. The organisers reserve the right to amend or update the rules at any time.
23. At the judge’s discretion, a £50 prize, for the best international entry, may be awarded. This prize may be awarded only if no international (non-UK) entrant wins one of the top cash prizes.
24. Postal entries add significantly to processing time and costs and are not encouraged, but will be allowed in special circumstances. At the discretion of the competition organisers, entrants who encounter significant problems with the online entry or payment procedure may be allowed a postal entry.
If you need to make a postal entry, first write to the organisers by email: contact us on [email protected] with the words Poems For Children in the Subject header.
There is a minimum entry fee of £20 for postal entries with cheque payments (covering up to a five-poem entry). No postal entry will be accepted after January 18, 2021