York suffer defeat to Wembley opponents

3 Apr 2012 @ 11.34 pm
| Sport
Patrick McLaughlin, as seen in the York City match day programme The Citizen

Newport County 2 York City 1

Jarvis (33), Rose (71); McLaughlin (39)

York City suffered their first away defeat in the league in 14 games as FA Trophy final opponents Newport County boosted their survival hopes with a narrow 2-1 victory on a difficult surface at Spytty Park.

Nathaniel Jarvis gave them the lead following a very slow start and although Patrick McLaughlin equalised before the break with his third goal in three games, substitute Romone Rose restored the advantage with nineteen minutes remaining.

The Minstermen were earlier forced into three changes from the side victorious at Luton Town, with skipper Chris Smith ruled out by a virus and Chris Doig and Jason Walker carrying slight knocks. Daniel Parslow was recalled as captain while Jamal Fyfield and Matthew Blinkhorn also returned.

The opening half-hour proved decidedly uneventful and rather reminiscent of the game at Bath City seven days earlier. James Meredith collected an early caution for the visitors while their opponents had a couple of harmless efforts from midfielder Sam Foley.

But Newport took a surprise lead on 33 minutes when a fine whipped cross from the left was met by a diving clearance behind by Parslow before Foley’s subsequent corner was headed in from close-range by Jarvis.

Moments later beaten goalkeeper Michael Ingham was firmly behind an effort from David Pipe before Lanre Oyebanjo drove forward and was brought down outside the opposite area by Gary Warren. McLaughlin took appropriate revenge with another excellent 23-yard free-kick around the wall and into the bottom corner.

Suddenly York appeared far more lively and Jamie Reed saw a header diverted behind from Oyebanjo’s long throw before Parslow’s shot was blocked from the ensuing corner. Reed then turned sharply and struck low at on loan Nottingham Forest keeper Karl Darlow ahead of the break.

Darlow soon raced out to clear ahead of Oyebanjo upon the restart while Lee Minshull volleyed speculatively wide from 40-yards in reply. The visitors were then calling for a penalty as Matty Blair’s shot was blocked after Darlow had dropped Jon Challinor’s long throw.

It was continuing to be really scrappy but the hosts suddenly found the boost of a second goal with nineteen minutes remaining when substitute Rose turned well and drilled into the corner after a scramble on the edge of the area.

Blair sliced wide after the visitors made a full quota of replacements but it continued to be uninspiring and physical with the ball constantly in the air. Jarvis was off-target at the opposite end while York never seriously threatened and must now lift themselves for the arrival of leaders Fleetwood Town this weekend.

Newport County: Darlow, Pipe, Hughes, Warren, Minshull, Sandell, Porter, Foley, Jarvis (Reid 89), Charles, Buchanan (Rose 61)

Subs (unused): Knights, Thompson, Yakubu

Goals: Jarvis (33), Rose (71)

York City: Ingham, Challinor, Parslow, Gibson, Fyfield, Meredith, Oybanjo, McLaughlin (Ashikodi 75), Blair (Moké 76), Blinkhorn, Reed (Chambers 64)

subs (unused): Bopp, Tonne

Goals: McLaughlin (39)

Ref: R. Whitton

Att: 1,241 (86 York)

Read more about York City at VitalFootball.