Witnesses sought to football-related disturbance in York

17 Mar 2013 @ 8.16 pm
| News

Issued by North Yorkshire Police

York police are asking for witnesses after five people were arrested following a large disturbance involving football supporters in Gillygate on Saturday afternoon.

Police were called to reports of glasses and bottles being thrown in the street outside the Pink Pony pub at around 2.15pm on Saturday 16 March 2013.

No-one was injured during incident which involved a group of people from York and Stoke-on-Trent.

PC Andrew Pearson of York Police, said: “It was disgraceful behaviour by a shockingly behaved minority who should be ashamed of themselves. Thankfully no-one suffered any injuries as a result of the incident and those responsible should count themselves very lucky not to be facing more serious allegations.

“We have been checking CCTV of the incident and speaking to people who were present, however, it is vital that any other witnesses to the incident come forward if they have not already done so. We would also like to hear from anyone who was in the Pink Pony pub prior to the incident.”

He added: “This behaviour will not be tolerated in our city and as a warning to others intent on spoiling the occasion for genuine fans, you can be assured that North Yorkshire Police will ensure offences of this nature are pursued through the courts and football banning orders sought at every opportunity.”

Anyone with any information is asked to call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for Andrew Pearson.

Or you can pass information anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

As a result of the Gillygate incident, two 18-year-old men from York were arrested on suspicion of affray.

Two men aged 19 and 20 from Stoke-on-Trent, were arrested on suspicion of public order offences. Both men were also arrested on suspicion of possessing class A and B drugs along with a third man also arrested on suspicion of possessing drugs, aged 19 from Stoke-on-Trent.

All five have been released on bail while enquiries continue.

16 youths from York aged between 15 and 18 were issued with section 27 orders to leave the city centre and not return within six hours.

In a separate incident, two men aged 43 and 23 from Stoke-on-Trent who had been ejected from the football ground were arrested for using threatening words and behaviour towards police officers. The 23-year-old was given a fixed penalty notice for disorder and fined £80.

The 43-year-old has been charged with using threatening words and behaviour and will appear at York Magistrates’ Court on 8 April 2013

This content has not been created by YorkMix but by one of our trusted news sources. YorkMix is not responsible for the accuracy of the text.