A York nursery has been damaged by a serious fire today (Friday).
Fire crews from York, Acomb and Tadcaster were called out to the blaze at Copmanthorpe Childcare Centre, on Barons Crescent, Copmanthorpe at 6.25am.
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, two thermal imaging cameras and a positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish and clear smoke logging.”
They said the fire is “believed to have been caused accidentally by an electrical appliance”.
No one was in the building at the time, and no one was hurt. The nursery was closed today and parents have been informed.
Copmanthorpe Childcare Centre manager Sarah McPherson told YorkMix she learned the building was alight at about 7am today and headed straight there.
“I saw the fire engines. We weren’t allowed in the building,” she said.
She didn’t yet know the extent of the damage. “They’re still investigating where the fire started. I’m just waiting for news of that.”
Sarah said she had got word out to the parents of children who attend the nursery.
“Luckily there’s a good community spirit. All the parents know that we’re closed, and we’ll be definitely be closed next week.
“It will be a case of pulling things together, and then we’ll go from there. Hopefully we’ll be able to get a temporary space.”
Around 60 children attend Copmanthorpe Childcare Nursery, ranging in age from three months to five years.
If anyone needs help finding childcare you can contact York Family Information Service 01904 554444 or email [email protected].