Updated: Arrest after two people injured in serious incident in Selby

Emergency services at Finkle Street in Selby on Tuesday. Photograph: Gemma Harrand
29 Dec 2020 @ 11.03 am
| News

Police have sealed off a street in Selby after a serious incident left two people injured.

Officers went to a property in Finkle Street just before 9am this morning (Tuesday), where they located a man who had suffered serious injuries.

A woman was also found injured.

Police also added this afternoon that the this incident is not connected to the stabbing of two men on Sunday.

The air ambulance over the scene. Photograph: Gemma Harrand
Air ambulances in Selby. Photograph: Polly Senior
Emergency services on Finkle Street. Photograph: Polly Senior

A man in his 30s has been arrested in connection with the incident.

Members of the public are asked to avoid the area while forensic enquiries continue at the scene.

Officers are not allowing traffic or pedestrians down Finkle Street.

Eyewitnesses reported two Yorkshire Air Ambulances at the scene, along with four police vehicles and two road ambulances.

It is the second serious incident in two days in Selby. On Sunday (27 December) a 19-year-old was arrested after two men were stabbed in an incident on Darcy Road.

Inspector Martin Wedgwood commented today on the two incidents:

“It is important for the residents of Selby to know that these two incidents are not linked and although they are serious in themselves, neither present a significant risk to the community as a whole.

The first incident saw parts of the Abbots Road estate patrolled by armed officers supported by the police helicopter.

The suspect was arrested after an a short search and measures have been put in to place to protect those that have been most effected by the incident.

The second incident, this morning, occurred in the town centre and saw Finkle Street being closed down for a significant amount of time.

Again, although this was a serious incident that required this level of attention it was not an incident that is likely to have an impact on the wider community.

The investigation remains ongoing and further details will be released as we are able to do so.I can confirm that at this time no persons are currently outstanding as wanted for either incident.

I would like to thank the public for their patience and support.”