Too much to mention here, but it’s all in our jam-packed What’s On guide.
Dust off your rainbow flags, it’s time to take to the streets and celebrate all things LGBT this Saturday, June 21 from York Minster at 12pm. Headlined by Heather Peace, prepare to be entertained and informed at the Knavesmire from 1pm and carry on partying in town afterwards.
Cycle the Solar System
You don’t need a spaceship to visit these planets, just a bike and a passion for science. Meet volunteers from the Department of Physics at the University of York as they provide entertainment and information for young cyclists along the solar system route. Start at ‘the sun’ at Askham Bryan College and see how far you can rocket. 10am – 5pm, Friday 20 – Saturday 21 June.
- For more information
- Check out the Bike Story Tour, one-hour theatre performances in Rowntree Park on Friday and Saturday
- Or hit the first ever Strensall Community Carnival, from 10.30am on Saturday
The one-day music festival is back this Saturday, June 21 at York Sports Club from 11am – 9pm. Three stages, lots of lively bands, stalls, attractions and a special vintage funfair to brighten up your weekend. It’s all for a good cause as the proceeds will go to the Smiley Riley Fund.
- Find out more
- York’s Little Festival of Live Music, running 6 days from Sunday, June 22 in Parliament Street
- Check out the Tour de Brass, also coming to Parliament Street, Saturday 21 – Sunday 22 June from 11am
York Food and Drink Festival
You won’t go hungry this weekend as the York Food and Drink Festival is back with a vengeance. St Sampson’s Square is packed to the brim with foodie demonstrations, or if you’d prefer to try out the ‘Real Ale Trail’ or go on a Wild Food Walk, or just taste some organic French wine – there’s something for everyone. Events generally run from 12 – 5pm daily from Friday June 20 – Sunday 29.
- York Food Festival ready to serve up some fantastique French flavours
- Join the fun with Door 84’s Free Community Day, Sunday June 22 from 1 – 4pm
- Get down to Canon Lee’s Summer Fayre this Saturday, June 21 from 1 – 4pm
Race for Life
Get out there and beat cancer with York’s Race for Life at the Knavesmire this Sunday, June 22 from 11am. Do 5 or 10k depending on your fitness level this nice flat terrain and raise money for Cancer Research.
LUMA Film Festival
York University’s LUMA Film Festival invites the public to see just how challenging and fun filmmaking can be. With talks and workshops on both Saturday and Sunday hosted by some of the best in the industry, as well as screenings of superb student films, LUMA champions the talent in the university’s Department of Theatre, Film and Television.