Our open mic night aficionado Darren Thackeray kicks off his survey of the music scene with some dates for your diaries
For a small town-like city York has one of the most organic and bustling music scenes I’ve ever come across. From old school jazz to contemporary folk there’s something for everybody and with so much going on it can be easy to get lost in the mix.
When I moved to York as a lowly student a little over five years ago I was taken aback by the sheer talent that resides and resounds inside these city walls. I am a dedicated follower of all things musical but what really steals my heart are the often overlooked gems that are offered in our dearly regarded local haunts.
From Walmgate to High Petergate and all the nooks in between it is possible to find a slice of this wholesome pie every evening, often accompanied by a fine selection of extremely quaffable ales. Instead of bending the ears of friends or graffiti-ing the walls of fellow Facebookers, I’ve decided instead to focus many of my recommendations and thoughts very neatly here.
Armed with only a camera and my trusty keyboard, I hope to share with you some of the most original and captivating musical evenings in this town of a city, and in the process shed some light on some wonderful talent.
Myself and YorkMix would also like to help you keep track of up and coming musical events. If you’re playing a gig, hosting a gig or know something we don’t then please drop us a line here.
A few regular evenings for your diaries are listed below to get us going and are free unless otherwise stated. More details and dates will follow!
- Open mic with Dave Keegan at the Fulford Arms, 8.30pm
- Live Americana music at the Maltings, 9pm
- Accoustic session at the Habit, 8.45pm
- Open mic at the Winning Post, 9pm
- Folk session at the Maltings, 9pm
- Open mic at the Melbourne, 8.45pm
- Open mic at the Habit with Mark Wynn, 9pm
- Open mic at the Golden Fleece with Chris Barnes, 9pm
- Open Jazz jam session at the Phoenix Inn, 9pm
- Open mic at the Victoria Vaults, 8:30pm
- Open mic with Rob Hughes at the Graduate (previously at the Olde Starre Inn!)
- Open mic with Dan Webster at the Rook & Gaskill, 9pm
- Jazz thursdays at the Old White Swan
- Live acoustic music at the Habit, 9pm
- Live music at the Waggon & Horses, 9pm
- Busk at Dusk, open mic from 10pm
- Open mic at the Edinburgh Arms, 9pm (fortnightly)