Manchester bomb attack: North Yorkshire Police issue statement as York man reveals injury

23 May 2017 @ 3.01 pm
| Crime, News

North Yorkshire Police have sought to reassure the public after the terrible bomb attack on Manchester Arena.

The blast killed 22 people, children among them, and injured at least 59 others. A suicide bomber detained explosives in the foyer of Manchester Arena which was packed with people leaving an Ariana Grande concert.

In the light of the attack the Chief Constable of North Yorkshire Police, Dave Jones, said: “There is no intelligence to suggest that there has been any change in the level of threat here in North Yorkshire.

Chief Constable of North Yorkshire Police Dave Jones

“Still, I would like to reassure the public that we will continue to maintain a visible police presence across North Yorkshire today.

“Our officers are providing support to Greater Manchester Police and neighbouring forces in any way that we can.”

Ch Con Jones offered his deepest sympathy to those affected by last night’s events. He asked people to remain alert, saying:

We also continue to ask the public to be vigilant and to report anything that they deem to be suspicious immediately by telling a police officer, by calling 101 or by calling the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.

Always call 999 in an emergency or for immediate assistance.

Hit by shrapnel

The shrapnel wound suffered by Rob Hay in the attack

Many young people from York were attending the concert.

One of them, 18-year-old Rob Hay, was hit in the head by a piece of flying shrapnel when the bomb was detonated as he left the arena.

He told the York Press:

I had put one foot out of the door when there was a blast and I got hit in the head.

There was a bang and it was like a film. Everything felt like it was in slow motion and we were both looking at each other as we were falling.

I put my hands to my head and it was really hot, my hands were covered in blood, so we started running to the main entrance.

I thought I was going to die.

He was photographed leaving the arena with his head bandaged:

A stranger helped him Rob to Manchester Royal Infirmary by taxi where they treated his head wound.

He was able to return to his home in Osbaldwick by 7am – much to the relief of everyone:

Search for missing parents

A York College student has issued an appeal after her parents went missing following the attack.

Alex Klis posted this appeal on Facebook:

Anyone who is in any safe place or hospital in Manchester, if anyone comes across my parents please please let me know as they’ve been missing ever since the attack, this is a picture taken tonight so this is exactly what they were wearing