A man needed medical treatment after being rescued from his smoke-filled home early today (Sunday).
Acomb and York firefighters were called at 3.34am to Thoresby Road.
A fire alarm had gone off with smoke coming from the electrical board.
Crews discovered that the smoke was coming from next door.
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire crew wearing breathing apparatus entered the smoke filled adjacent premises and led one male aged 59 years to safety, gave first aid for slight smoke inhalation, and advised he seek medical attention later if required, as he declined ambulance attendance.”
Another man, aged 34, walked to safety by himself.
A pan left on the hob unattended containing a chicken had boiled dry, causing the smoke.
Firefighters moved the pan outside and ventilated the premises.