York crews tackle three fires and one water leak overnight

Library photograph: YorkMix

Fire crews from York were called out to four incidents overnight.

At 5.33pm a York crew went to a report of water leaking from a first floor flat in Bootham and into a commercial property below.

They entered the flat through an unlocked window and isolated the leak on a shower unit.

At 9.05pm a Huntington crew put out a fire in a large metal wheelie bin on Huntington Road. It is believed to have been started deliberately by youths.

A few minutes later at 9.14pm, crews from York and Acomb were alerted to a fire in a home on Farrar Street.

It was in the fuse cupboard, and caused fire, heat and smoke damage. Firefighters carried out an inspection and left the incident in the hands of the landlord and Northern Powergrid.

And at 11.07pm a crew from Acomb responded to a smoke alarm going off in a commercial property at Tockwith west of York.

On arrival they discovered a fire in a commercial kiln, which resulted in damage to wooden staging. They put out the fire. The cause is believed to be accidental.