Jailed: Killer who injected man with heroin in a York shop doorway

Jordan Hipkins
11 Sep 2018 @ 10.27 am
| Crime, News

A York man has been jailed for five years for manslaughter after injecting a man with heroin in a shop doorway.

Jordan Hipkins, 24, of North Street, York, pleaded guilty to manslaughter on September 3, the day he was due to stand trial for causing the death of 44-year-old James Moore. He was sentenced on Tuesday (September 10).

In the early hours of Thursday 25 May 2017, police received a call from the ambulance service who were administering CPR to Mr Moore who had collapsed in Micklegate.

Mr Moore, of no fixed address, was resuscitated and taken to hospital where he remained in a critical condition.

He died in the early hours of June 5.

CCTV showed attack

The police investigation placed Jordan Hipkins with Mr Moore on the morning he became ill.

CCTV showed Hipkins injecting Mr Moore with a substance that turned out to be heroin. The post mortem discovered that Mr Moore died from the effects of heroin and alcohol.

On Tuesday Hipkins was jailed by Leeds Crown Court.

Leeds Crown Court. Photograph © Mtaylor848 on Wikipedia

He also received two further three-month jail terms for unconnected offences including assault and criminal damage after attacking a taxi and its driver, and obstructing a police community support officer in a separate incident.

A charge of possessing a knife was allowed to remain on file.

Added to the ordeal

Investigating officer Detective Constable Michael Johnston, of the York Serious Crime squad, condemned the killer for taking so long to own up to what he had done. He said:

  • Hipkins waited until the very last minute to admit his guilt, putting Mr Moore’s only surviving relative through the ordeal of the court process until he eventually pleaded guilty.

    Our thoughts remain with Mr Moore’s sister who has not only endured the loss of James, but had to see him suffer in the days leading up to his death.

    I hope they take some comfort that Hipkins has now been held accountable for his death.