Traffic at the tip continues to cause problems for nearby businesses, according to one councillor, who warns the queues mean staff and customers cannot get to traders near Hazel Court.
Cllr Pete Kilbane highlighted long queues at the tip this week, saying a nearby business is calling for action to be taken and that the situation is worse than it has been for some time.
They told him that the queues mean their own staff cannot get to their workplace.
Cllr Martin Rowley runs a business nearby and said his team “is affected quite seriously by the congestion that builds up along James Street”.
He told councillors on Monday the whole junction needs to be redesigned.
He said: “Signage won’t work, you need to have a complete look at that junction and redesign that junction. Giving opening hours and booking times would be pointless and wouldn’t address it.”
Advice for residents
There has been “huge demand” for the tip in recent weeks, with visits increasing by a third, Cllr Paula Widdowson said.
She said: “To help cope with the increased demand we have brought forward the extended summer opening hours which were due to come into effect in April.
“This means that Hazel Court is now open 8.30am to 7pm Mondays to Saturdays and 8.30am to 4pm on Sundays.
“We want to remind residents that sites are open for essential visits only, and encourage them to visit at quieter times where possible, including evenings.
“This helps to ensure social distancing guidelines can be followed and also reduces the traffic impact from queuing in the surrounding areas.”
They are also advising residents:
• To pre-sort waste before travelling, so we can get people in and out as quickly as possible to help reduce queue times
• Do not arrive before the sites are open. Vehicles queuing in advance of the sites opening may obstruct approach roads
• Only one person should leave a vehicle to deposit waste
• Only bring what you can safely handle as staff will not be able to help you unload your waste as they normally would
• If you are queuing to use the household waste recycling centre please be considerate and do not block access for nearby businesses or other road users.
Towthorpe is closed on Wednesdays, and the current opening hours are from 8:30am to 5pm.