A family were saved from a potentially devastating fire after they were woken by their dog.
Firefighters were called to Nelson Street, Scarborough at 4.36am today (Friday).
A fire had broken out in a bedroom after a candle was left burning while the residents went to sleep.
The family dog woke the family, and a man was able to put out the fire with water from a washing up bowl.
He was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.
A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “No action by firefighters, though they will return to carry out a safe and well assessment and fit smoke alarms as none were present in the property.”